Hiking is an outdoor activity that involves walking on designated trails or paths in natural environments such as mountains, forests, and parks. It can be done for recreation, exercise, or as a means of reaching a destination such as a summit or a scenic viewpoint.
Hiking can range from easy, short walks on flat terrain to strenuous, multi-day trekking on steep and rugged terrain. It can be done alone or in groups, and often requires proper planning, including checking weather forecast, bringing appropriate gear and supplies and in some cases obtaining necessary permits. Hiking is a great way to get some fresh air, exercise, and experience nature while enjoying the tranquility and beauty of the outdoors.
Hiking route in Phuket
Phuket, Thailand is known for its beautiful beaches, but it also offers some great hiking trails for those looking to explore the island’s natural beauty. Here are a few popular hiking routes in Phuket:
- Black Rock Viewpoint – Pa Hin Dam: another viewpoint of Phuket. It is located not too far from Sam Ao Viewpoint. For getting to Pha bin dum, you can start from Chalong Intersection then drive straight up to Rawai Beach.
- Cape Krathing: Krating Cape is the latest viewpoint discovered in the southwest of Phuket island. It’s a tough spot to get to but if you don’t mind to walk and climb up steep slopes, this is a spot you shouldn’t miss.
- Khao Phra Thaeo National Park: This national park is located in the northern part of the island and offers a variety of hiking trails through dense jungle and rubber tree plantations. It’s home to a wide variety of wildlife, including gibbons and macaques.
- Ton Sai Waterfall: This waterfall is located in the southern part of the island and can be accessed via a steep and challenging hike through the jungle. The trail is well marked and offers great views of the surrounding forest.
- Sirinat National Park: This national park is located on the northwest coast of the island and offers a variety of hiking trails through mangrove forests and sandy beaches. It’s a great place to spot a variety of bird species, and it also offers beautiful views of the Andaman Sea.
- Karon View Point: This viewpoint is located on the southern end of the island, and can be accessed by a steep hike. It offers panoramic views of the island, including the famous Karon Beach, and it’s also a great spot to watch sunset.
- The Big Buddha: This large white statue of Buddha is located on top of Nakkerd Hills, and offers panoramic views of the island. It can be reached by a steep hike, but the trail is well-maintained and offers a good workout.
- Phuket’s viewpoint: There are a few viewpoint that offers a great view of the island, such as Rang Hill viewpoint, Radar Hill viewpoint and Promthep Cape viewpoint.
These are just a few examples of the many hiking routes Phuket has to offer. It is important to note that visitors should be prepared for a challenging hike, bring enough water and snacks, wear appropriate shoes, and be aware of the weather conditions before starting the hike.